Thursday, February 19, 2009

CHANGE - February - D Waterfield



This is my late rendition for the February Cuttlefish catalogue. Why is it late? Because it’s been going round my head for the last few weeks trying to get out.

I thought I’d attempt to convey a symbolic representation, of change as part of human behaviour. To me change is part of the evolution of human potential and it is therefore finite; and as such can be both anticipated and encapsulated symbolically.

So I had this visual picture of a symbol that I wanted to convey graphically. But: At this stage of my evolution, in graphic design, my computer skills are best described as embryonic.
The particular change that I am seeking, is to develop those skills so that I can express my ideas graphically without this hindrance. My change will be fueled by determination born of both desire for success and fear of failure.

So, after spending fruitless hours with illustrator and photoshop, at war with the pen tool, trying to draw my symbolic spirals, I decided to face reality. In an attempt to seek redemption I am now, at bloody 4.30 in the morning, drawing squirley lines on a whiteboard to attempt to convey to you my graphic rendition of ‘change’.
I hope those of you who share an interest in the subliminal (is there anybody out there?) will find it of some interest, whilst for the remainder of you who don’t, then I shall attempt to gratify your indulgence with a few stolen philosophical quotes from Mr Google.

Quotes: Theme:- CHANGE
He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson
If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit
It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory. ~W. Edwards Deming
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. ~Victor Frankl
The man who looks for security, even in the mind, is like a man who would chop off his limbs in order to have artificial ones which will give him no pain or trouble. ~Henry Miller
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher
If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change. ~John A. Simone, Sr.
When you are through changing, you are through. ~Bruce Barton
The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions. ~Ellen Glasgow
Growth is the only evidence of life. ~John Henry Newman, Apologia pro vita sua, 1864
Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed. ~Irene Peter
You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Author Unknown
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies. ~Author Unknown
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. ~Author unknown, commonly misattributed to Charles Darwin
Artist: David Waterfield
Title:
Date: February 09
Meduim: Illustrator/ Internet pictures
Course: Diploma of Graphic Design

No comments: